Today I am going to tell you about my trip to India during the COVID pandemic.
Let’s get there!
Packing bags took a long time. There was lots to take! We packed and packed for hours. There was a lot of last minute packing too! Once all was packed, it would be soon time to travel to India. I was so excited.
As soon as the 2 large SUVs arrived we started to put all the luggage in 1 of the SUV’s. The other SUV was the one that would take us to the airport. As we rode in the SUV to the airport, I was so excited! I would get to see my grandparents and cousins.
As soon as we reached the airport, I was bubbling with excitement; but I had a lot of traveling in front of me.
As soon as we got inside the cold airport, we started to look for the Emirates business class counter. There was NO line in front of the Emirates business class counter, but the economy class line was HUGE! I could not believe my eyes.
As soon as we reached the counter the person behind the counter asked for our passport, RT-PCR covid test, OSI, and some other stuff. We had to show it all. Then it was time to check in our bags. The whole entire process took about 25 minutes. Now, imagine the people standing in the economy line, if there were 5 people in front of you it would have taken SO long.
After we were done with check-in and getting our boarding passes, we walked to the security area. The line was long (there was no line for the business class passengers) but it moved fast. Security went pretty fast, we got to the counter and put all of our carry-on luggage on the machine and walked through the scanner.
Then we started to head toward the business class lounge. As soon as we got there we started to eat and hang out till in the lounge till boarding of our flight. I ate lots of snacks.
I drew and wrote in my diary in the lounge as I ate. The lounge was small for a business class lounge though.
An hour or so later, we went to board the flight. As we were reaching the gate, the air hostesses started to call first class and business class up, and we boarded the flight.
The business class seats were nice in my opinion ! There was 1 very big screen, 1 medium sized screen, and a control. The seat could recline all the way to flat. There was an awesome travel kit too. The food was horrible though, I absolutely hated it. The thing that really got at me was having to wear a mask for such a long time.
I watched 4 movies, slept, ate, daydreamed, during the flight.
After a long 13 and half hours we landed in Dubai. As soon as we got off the plane, we headed to the business class lounge, for some time. Our flight would start boarding in about an hour or so. The lounge was so much bigger than the Chicago lounge. We ate middle eastern food. (Better than the flight’s food.)
We boarded the 3 hour flight to Mumbai soon afterward. The flight’s business class was the same, but the food was still horrible.
After we landed, we went through imigration and they checked if you had an Indian visa, and if you had a criminal record and stuff. Then we went to baggage claim and claimed our bags. It took a lot of time, because someone took our bags out of the carousel.
Then we got all of our bags and went through a security type of thing. Afterward we went to find our chaffers and we booked 3. We found all of them, and loaded all of our bags into one of the cars, the other 2 Mercedes we loaded ourselves into. I went with my dad in one, and my sister and mom went into the other one.
We drove to my mom’s mom & dad’s house.
WE reached home, and chatted for a little while then slept.
I will now tell you about what we did.
I ate lots of awesome food on my trip, below I will list them.
- Vada Pav: a deep fried potato put between a bun.
- Idly: a savory rice cake consisting of fermented black lentils and rice
- Dosa: a thin type of pancake consisting of lentils and rice
- Grilled Sandwich: Vegetables put in between 2 pieces of bread and grilled
- Mendu Vada: South Indian Fritter made in a doughnut shape
- Samosa: Triangular Shape pastry filled with vegetables, potatoes
- Pani Puri: puff-pastry balls filled with spiced mashed potato,lentils and tamarind juice
- Frankie: a big, fat roll stuffed with veggies, paneer
- Sizzler: Veggies, Fries, patties all cooked on a hot metal plate put in a wooden plate
- Khasta Kachori: Deep fried snack
- Potato Sandwich: Potato slices put between bread and chutney
- Khaman Dhokla: Spicy sponge savory cake made of chickpea flour
- Dhokla: Rice flour cake that is warm
- Bhajia: Vegetables or spanish covered in chickpea flour and fried
- Cake and Muffins
- Juice: Fruit Juice
- Macarons: Vegan
- A bike driver was pushing another bike with his legs. It was hilarious!
- A rickshaw driver was pushing another rickshaw with his leg! LOL
- Two old men held hands and crossed the road. OMG, it was so funny!!
- My mom made me come out for a walk in HEELS. And let me tell you that the sidewalks are so bad! I had to go into a park where people are exercising and speed walk in HEELS. It was so funny. I didn’t fall though. YAY! But I must have been a joke to all the people.
- A bike driver was holding groceries in a bag. The bottom broke, the driver didn’t notice, and all the items fell out of the bag and on the road. He had to go and pick it up. It was funny but must have been sad.
Where I went, and what I did
I went to a lot of places on My vacation.
I met lots of people and saw lots of places. Listed below are my top favorite places.
- Padgah: A religious place that houses lots of Monks.
- Shahpur Temple: A huge temple.
- Borivali: I met lots of people in Borivali, which is a suburb of Mumbai.
- Lots of streetside food: Sandwich, Frankie, Dosa, Vada Pav, Samosa food eateries.
- Relatives: I met many relatives from my Mom and Dad’s side.
- Friends: I met my friends in India.
- Cousins: I spent lots of time with my cousins. My cousin sister Prisha and My cousin brother, Hansel especially. I also spent time with my dad’s sister and her family.
- Shopping: I did lots of shopping for EVERYTHING! I got so many things, especially from Crawford Market and Phoenix mall.
Let’s get home
It was a long fun 3 week vacation, but it was time to get home and I was excited.
We took an RT-PCR test at 7:00am in the morning. We didn’t get the results for so long. My parents were so stressed, because if we didn’t get the results in time we wouldn’t be able to travel. So we went to the airport at about 2:00pm to take another test. But, in the end we didn’t take another test, we got the contact number with one of the workers at metropolis. Metropolis was the center we got our RT-PCR test done from.
The worker told us that we would get our tests at 8:00-9:00pm. My parents got even more stressed because we were heading to the airport at 8:00pm. If we didn’t get the results during that time we would not be able to fly.
Luckily, My mom, sister, and my test results came in on the ride to the airport. My dad’s results didn’t come back on the way there. We reached the airport before my dad’s test results came. His results finally came 30 minutes into being at the airport.
The check in queue was long, but luckily we were only 3-4th in the queue. It went pretty fast. Then we had to go through security, which was pretty fast too, (In my opinion). After that we went through Immigration. Then we were free.
Afterward we started walking around the shops and stuff, then to our gate. On the way to the gate a shop came where we stopped and ate at. When we reached the gate, we didn’t have to wait a long time till boarding. When they called everybody we got in line. They stopped us for a second, because my sister didn’t have the immigration stamp on her boarding pass , but they let us in eventually.
The first leg of the flight was good. There was an empty seat in between me and my dad. There was a good amount of space. The food was horrible though.
The second leg of the flight was ok. I had the window seat and the view was awesome, but there was no empty seat. The food was pretty bad except for the pizza they gave.
My trip was long and awesome, I had lots of fun and enjoyed every moment.